Friday, October 14, 2011

Changing the Vision

I have gotten so much done today and I really love my home right now.  I'll let you in on a secret...I've been wanting to move for about 5 years now. We've been in our home for 10 years and there's that little part of me that yearns for change and a backyard.  It's not happening right now.  And I think I finally understand that.  I'm not even sure I wanted to move, or I just liked the idea of it.  For five years, however, I've been at a bit of a standstill in my decorating.  During the first five years, we were newlyweds and working away from home most of the day.  After my children were born, I invested in warming up their rooms, but never really expanded to taking care of other parts of the house.  I wasn't loving on it.  An unloved home is a very sad home, indeed.  Something lately has started a change in me.  I'm not sure if it's the realization that we're here for another full two years at least, or maybe gaining strength and not getting any terrible colds for five months or even just wanting my daughters to always have warm memories of being at home.  I have the cleaning bug and the desire to fill the house with warmth and beauty and love.  My love for our home has increased as well.  I love being at home.  My girls enjoy it more now too.   I find an absurd amount of satisfaction in making their beds and rooms up.  My oldest, who is an A type like her daddy, squeals whenever I organized something in her room.  She hugs me almost every day after making her bed.  Who couldn't be inspired by that?

I think children's artwork and pictures of family and friends is one of the least expensive ways to warm up the house and add color.  Frames don't have to be expensive, they can just be bought at Goodwill or Value Village.  Not being a crafty person in the past, I actually have several unopened frames that I will introduce to the house this next week.  I'm so excited to do this.  While not crafty, I do love photography.  I haven't gotten it all figured out yet, but I expect it to be fairly easy and meaningful.  I have some other ideas too, and I will update next week with pictures of the finished products.

I think my next project is me.  I know that sounds funny to some, but I think most stay at home moms can relate.  Taking care of yourself is the hardest on the list.  I'll be perfectly frank too.  I haven't had my hair done since May, and I can't remember the last time I bought clothes or shoes.  My kids are dressed and combed beautifully, but myself....errrr....not.  Not all of it is saving money, either.  Do you want to go shopping with two little ones in tow?  I think not.  Finding the time is difficult and when I do find the time there are just other things I'd rather be doing.  At five foot nothing, I can't exactly just order something online and being thrifty and buying secondhand doesn't usually work out for me for anything other than t-shirts.  Atlas...I will make a date for myself at some point in the next month or two.  After I've budgeted properly of course.  But I will follow through.

3 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm glad you are having fun decorating and dolling up your home! :) I have been trying to pay more attention to myself as well. Since I'm stuck with maternity clothes for a while, I've been splurging on makeup. It's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girl! Baby steps in all things, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think we can all relate! Hard to find the balance between joyful serving and needed me-time, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete