Sunday, September 18, 2011

Colors of Fall

Muffins, bread, banana bread and blackberry jam....that was a lot of work.  Never did I think the wild blackberries that grew next door would yield seven pints of jam.  Really, I was just hoping for a small bowl of berries.  I also cleaned more dishes than I've seen this year, but it was worth it.  I love blackberry jam.  There is something so magnificent about something so sweet and useful with only three ingredients.

(Recipe straight from Sure-Jell)
3 cups of mashed blackberries (don't blend...unless you want syrup)
5.25 cups of sugar
1 packet of fruit pectin

Mix the fruit and sugar and let sit.  Heat pectin and 3/4 cup of water to boiling.  Mix in with fruit and sugar...stir well and pour into containers.  Freezer jam is so easy.  I may never can again.

I love fall.  Some people spring clean, but I fall clean and bake and cook like crazy.  I love the smells in the air...the colors...even the cold and crisp feeling it gives.  I spent parts of my day organizing and I'm ecstatic to clean this week.  And bake.  And bake again.  And put homemade blackberry jam on fresh homemade bread.

1 comment:

  1. I think there might be space in my freezer for jam - if you feel like sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete