Friday, September 16, 2011

Sometimes I'm not winning, but still I'm not losing...

Ah, I have been quiet this week.  This has been our first week of school for the girls with a new busy and pretty crazy schedule.  I will update how the week went tomorrow...  I did have a small crash this week.  My husband told me I would crash and crash hard, but not really.  Let's just say that fluffy coffees can really help one cope with the many stresses of a new schedule and an occasional dessert out with the girls is necessary.  The dessert was planned far in advance and well worth it.  Peets coffee is incredible.  Still, third weekend in a row, so far, of not going out to eat.  No fast food or anything else. I don't feel that self righteous.  This month has been a bit spendy so far, and I really don't feel like I'm saving us money yet.  Maybe after the next two weeks...

I still need to improve in the planning department.  Especially making plans that doesn't make life too hard on me and allows me to make quick, easy and healthy breakfasts and lunches so that I can focus on spending time with my kids and not just feeding them.

2 comments:

  1. I plan all my meals for the week (but I hate meal planning, I just know it saves money and stress). To help make it easier, I rotate the same few things for breakfast and lunches, and they are often on the same day each week (and based on my Wednesday grocery shopping day, so stuff that needs the freshest ingredients is on Thurs, Fri...). Dinner tends to have a bit more variety but during the school year I do it by ingredient - M=fish, T=beans, W=Crock/soup (busy day), Th=meat, F=flex, S=leftovers, Su=pasta. Lunch on Monday is often leftover pasta. I have a list of my most common meals that is organized by these categories and I plug them into my menu each week. I find that this is easier than staring at a blank sheet each week and coming up with stuff out of thin air. It also helps to have a set day/time to do menu planning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to learning better how to do this. I plan by the week too, but nothing as routine as what you have. Love the ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete